Just watched a great webinar on Google Commerce Search.
Key takeaways are as follows:
- Smartphones outsold desktop computers for the first time in Q4 2010 emphasising the need to “get mobile.”
- 43% of all offline sales thought to have been researched online.
- 70% of visitors to e-commerce sites use the site search facility.
- Some online retailers are hitting double digit conversion rates.
- Search as you type allied to instant results aims to bring the interactive experience available offline online – it is as if the site is talking to you!
- Can be integrated with inventory management system to show local availability of products on the site.
- Powerful merchandising tools available eg schedule special offers to run on certain dates for pre-defined periods well in advance.
- Backend functionality facilitates customising results to highlight preferred products.
- Babyage.com saw 34% increase in conversion rates. WoodCraft.com saw a 28% increase.
This latest update seems like a powerful solution and one that all e-tailers should seriously consider. We are in the process of updating our internal processes to ensure that we can help those e-tailers who decide to implement it.